The integration of SpringSource as a division of VMware has come to a point where VMware is offering a brand new workshop which is focusing on the development of applications that can run in the cloud. The new one day workshop; Developing for the Cloud is delivered in classroom format. This week Eberhard Wolff will kick off with the first one in New York and says:
"The move to the Cloud will change the way IT services are consumed - and developed. This workshop gives a good introduction to the challenges you face when creating Cloud applications - and of course how to deal with them."
You can find Eberhard's weblog at http://jandiandme.blogspot.com/
Moving to the cloud is the next major evolutionary step for IT systems. The cloud offers a lot of clear benefits such as better resource utilization and improved flexibility – both desired by businesses. Cloud computing also offers novel and smart approaches to technical problem such as scalability or fault tolerance. Therefore it is important to adapt cloud computing and by that gain a competitive advantage.However, developing software that runs well in cloud environments is a difficult and demanding task. Completely new levels of scalability must be supported. New approach and new architectures are emerging and need to be supported. This Workshop will teach the basics of cloud technologies and how to develop software for it.
• Understand the advantages of Cloud technologies
• Understand challenges when developing software for the Cloud
• Learn about the impact of IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) such as Amazon S3 or VMware vCloud on software development and how to use it efficiently
• Comprehend the PaaS (Platform as a Service) approach and some typical implementation such as Google App Engine, VMforce or Cloud Foundry
• Find out how to architect applications for the cloud and how to develop applications for the cloud using Spring Roo