After installing the Symantec ApplicationHA Console it’s time to roll out the Symantec ApplicationHA Guest components. You can use a wizard to configure monitoring for applications, services, and processes running on virtual machines. After completing this wizard, you can start, stop, and monitor the configured components from the VMware vSphere Client or using Microsoft Internet Explorer.
You can also perform the application monitoring operations directly from a browser window using the following URL: Https://<virtualmachineNameorIPaddress>:5634/vcs/admin/application_health.html?priv=ADMIN To view the Symantec ApplicationHA view, launch the VMware vSphere Client, select a virtual machine from the Inventory pane, and in the Management pane on the right, click the ApplicationHA tab. If you have not configured single sign-on for the virtual machine, specify the user credentials of a user that has administrative privileges on the virtual machine.
If a component fails, a configurable number of attempts are made to restart it on the machine. If the component does not start, the virtual machine itself can be restarted by VMware HA, depending on the configuration settings.
It’s also possible to configure application monitoring for custom services, processes, and storage mount points on a virtual machine. You can either choose one or multiple components simultaneously.
- Configure multiple services and processes in a single wizard workflow
- Configure storage monitoring to control storage availability on the virtual machine
- Configure dependency to control orderly start and stop of components
In this example I’ve chosen to configure application monitoring for Microsoft SQL Server 2008 instances running on a virtual machine. Now I’m able to:
- Monitor SQL Database Engine service, Analysis service, and FILESTREAM
- Monitor and control the availability of SQL databases on the virtual machine
- Perform a graceful start and stop of SQL services and databases
Symantec ApplicationHA provides an interface, the Symantec ApplicationHA tab, to configure and control application monitoring. The Symantec ApplicationHA tab is integrated with the VMware vSphere Client. Use the Symantec ApplicationHA view to perform the following tasks:
- Configure and unconfigure application monitoring
- Start and stop configured applications
- Enable and disable application heartbeat
- Enter and exit maintenance mode