- Introduction to VMware Horizon Workspace: You will learn how Horizon Workspace works and some of its key features that help end users and IT administrators manage personal and corporate data on multiple devices.
- Architecture and Components: You will learn about the components that make up the Horizon Workspace architecture.
- You will learn the key tasks for installing and configuring Horizon Workspace.
- You will learn how to access the Horizon Workspace interfaces and how to work with the Administrator Web interface to manage Horizon Workspace modules, users, groups, catalog of resources, policies, reports, and how to edit administrator settings.
- You will learn how users can sign in from the Horizon Workspace user portal, and install the Horizon Workspace client application on the appropriate devices. In addition, this module teaches how users use the Horizon Workspace features to access and manage their applications and use Horizon Files to manage and share their folders and files.
Wednesday, April 2. 2014
Friday, March 28. 2014
This indispensable start-to-finish guide brings together all the techniques, tips, and insights you'll need. Drawing on their unsurpassed personal experience, pioneering experts Michael Corey and Jeff Szastak share comprehensive best practices, tips, and insights for deploying mission critical database servers in virtualized vSphere 5 environments. Virtualizing SQL Server 2012 with VMware guides you through the entire project and database lifecycle, including:
- Migrating existing SQL Server databases onto a vSphere platform
- Baselining your physical system and properly determining resource requirements for a virtualized implementation
- Architecting design, storage, memory, and networking for superior performance
- Choosing the right hypervisor
- Leveraging SQL Server 2012 Availability Groups
- Managing and monitoring virtualized database instances and resources
Thursday, March 27. 2014
Eric Siebert over at vsphere-land has managed to calculate all the votes and has put together the Top Blog 2014 results. NTPRO.NLhas ended up at place 6 in 2014 top VMware & virtualization blog voting. My website was also chosen as number 3 at "Favorite Independent Blogger". Congratulations go out to all the other bloggers and I want to thank everyone for casting their vote. I promise the keep up the good work. Here's the complete top 10:
- Yellow Bricks (Duncan Epping)
- Virtually Ghetto (William Lam)
- Frank Denneman (Frank Denneman)
- Cormac Hogan (Cormac Hogan)
- Scott Lowe blog (Scott Lowe)
- NTPRO.NL (Eric Sloof)
- Virtu-al (Alan Renouf)
- Wahl Network (Chris Wahl)
- Virtual Geek (Chad Sakac)
- Mike Laverick (Mike Laverick)
VMware vCenter Log Insight delivers the best real-time log management for VMware environments, with machine learning-based Intelligent Grouping and high performance search, enabling faster troubleshooting and better operational across physical, virtual, and cloud environments. It can analyze terabytes of logs, discover structure in unstructured data, and deliver enterprise-wide visibility via a modern web interface.
What's New in Log Insight 2.0 Beta
- Scale-Out with High Availability
- 5x-10x throughput improvement in Cluster mode
- Single UI to query all the data
- Proactive Analytics
- Machine learning enabled summarization of event types & schema recognition
- Smart fields to aid in extraction
- Super-Powered Dashboards
- Easily add new data filters on the fly
- Interact between dashboard widgets
- RESTful API for log ingestion
- Improved self-monitoring tools
- Windows collection agent
- Forwards Windows event logs
- Monitors & forwards flat log files
- Centralized reporting & management
VMware vCenter Log Insight Getting Started Guide
Monday, March 24. 2014
Networking for VMware Administrators fills this crucial knowledge gap. Writing for VMware professionals, Christopher Wahl and Steve Pantol illuminate the core concepts of modern networking, and show how to apply them in designing, configuring, and troubleshooting any virtualized network environment.
Drawing on their extensive experience with a wide range of virtual network environments, the authors address physical networking, switching, storage networking, and several leading virtualization scenarios, including converged infrastructure.
Teaching through relevant examples, they focus on foundational concepts and features that will be valuable for years to come. To support rapid learning and mastery, they present clear learning objectives, questions, problems, a complete glossary, and extensive up-to-date references.
VMware Horizon Workspace is a new type of solution that is commonly referred to as a "Workspace Aggregator” or “Universal Services Broker”.
It delivers a solution that provides end-users with a single point of access to their corporate data, applications, and other IT-resources as well as providing IT administrators with a single point of administration and management.
It will then look in detail at the different features and functionality offered by Horizon Workspace in delivering against application brokering, data collaboration, and mobility. The book will take you through each one in detail, using illustrations and screenshots with the option to follow in real time to build out your own lab/pilot environment.
You will also be guided through the product capabilities using step-by-step instructions and screenshots of each feature and how to implement it.
Wednesday, March 19. 2014
Use the free Veeam Stencils for Microsoft Visio to create detailed diagrams in reports and gain valuable business insights, improve business process efficiency and customer experience as well as workflow and monitoring capabilities.
Veeam Stencils contains:
- ESX and Hyper-V hosts
- Local storage, shared storage
- VMs with status sign
Monday, March 17. 2014
(Dutch) Video - NLVMUG User Conference 2014 sessie 15 vCenter Operations and the Quest for the missing Metrics
This session will teach you how to customize vCenter Operations to provide you the information you really need for your business. We do this by giving you some real life examples from the field where we use Custom Dashboards, Super Metrics, Adapters and Alerts in order to give you the best possible view into the well-being of your environment. You’ll also see a live demo of third party integration and you'll learn how to monitor the performance of your enterprise to diagnose and prevent problems.
Thursday, March 13. 2014
As pioneers like Google, Amazon, and Netflix have discovered, DevOps can improve efficiency, accelerate delivery, and reduce costs. However, most discussions of DevOps focus on theory rather than implementation, and DevOps raises unique issues in virtualized environments.
- Puppet IT automation software for managing infrastructure across its lifecycle, including provisioning, configuration, orchestration, and reporting
- Chef configuration management tool for writing system configuration "recipes" that streamline server configuration and maintenance and can integrate with cloud-based platforms such as Rackspace and Amazon EC2 to automate provisioning
- Ansible, the flexible open source toolkit for automating configuration management and orchestration in Unix and Unix-style environments
- Windows PowerShell for automating tasks and configuration management in Windows environments
VMware vSphere PowerCLI provides a Windows Powershell interface to the VMware vSphere and vCloud and the SRM APIs. VMware vSphere PowerCLI includes numerous cmdlets, sample scripts, and a function library. PowerCLI is a command-line and scripting tool built on Windows PowerShell, and provides more than 400 cmdlets for managing and automating vSphere and vCloud.
This release of vSphere PowerCLI introduces a number of new capabilities and expands on the existing cmdlets introducing cmdlets for vCenter Site Recovery Manager and providing further management of the VMware vSphere and VMware vCloud Director products.
Using the Connect-SRMServer and Disconnect-SRMServer you are now able to connect to vCenter SRM and access all public APIs available, use of the $global:DefaultSrmServers object properties and methods after connection allow for access to recovery group and protection group automation.
Sample Scripts for Managing vCenter Site Recovery Manager with VMware vSphere PowerCLI
- Protect a Virtual Machine - You can protect a virtual machine by replicating it to a remote SRM site.
- Connect-SrmServer - This cmdlet establishes a connection to a vCenter Site Recovery Manager (SRM) server.
- Create a Report of the Virtual Machines Associated with All Protection Groups - You can create a simple report containing information about the virtual machines associated with all protection groups.
- Create a Report of the Protected Virtual Machines - You can create a simple report containing information about the protected virtual machines associated with an SRM server.
- Install and configure vCloud Application Director to use with vCloud Automation Center
- Manage the components in the vCloud Application Director catalog
- Configure application blueprints
- Deploy applications
- Manage deployed applications