- vCenter Server Install - This series provides to instructions on installing various vCenter 6.0 components.
- vCenter Server Upgrades - Seamlessly upgrade from from vCenter Server and vCenter Server 5.x versions to version 6.0 with these walkthroughs.
- vSphere Data Protection - With this set of walkthroughs, learn how to perform vital activities that vSphere Data Protection 6.0 enables you to carry out.
- vSphere Replication - With these walkthroughs, learn how configure replication and recover a virtual machine.
Tuesday, February 24. 2015
Friday, February 20. 2015
This guide introduces you to navigation of the user interface and understanding alerts and events, as well as correct setup of the tool. Specific use cases illustrate how to troubleshoot problems in a View environment, and lab exercises offer guided practice.
This white paper describes how to maximize the use of your vRealize Operations for Horizon monitoring solution and includes use-case scenarios and lab exercises.
The wide choice of application-delivery options allows customization for a variety of use cases. This paper gives details on the benefits and use cases for each application-delivery option, along with explanations of how to deliver those applications on each application-delivery platform in Horizon.
Technical white paper: Application-Delivery Options in VMware Horizon 6.0
Wednesday, February 18. 2015
- PDF annotation currently only available on iPad.
- Saving as stencil feature currently only available on iPad.
- Push-to-talk and chat feature currently on available on iPad.
- Real-time, Collaborative, with easy-to-use drawing interface.
- Internet based services for collaborating, sharing, storing, viewing with drawing capabilities.
- A variety of drawing tools.
- Instant snapshots, storing and retrieval any stage of your drawing, all on-demand.
- All data (diagrams, chat history, snapshots) of meeting session are persistently stored. Your meetings can be stopped and restarted at any time.
- SSL connectivities, Password protected, Encrypted storage.
- No registration, No sign-up required.
- Collaborate with the BaiBoard iPad version.
Thursday, February 12. 2015
vSphere Replication is a proprietary replication engine developed by VMware that is included with VMware vSphere Essentials Plus Kit and higher editions of VMware vSphere, VMware vSphere with Operations Management editions, and VMware vCloud Suite editions.
Technical Overview - VMware vSphere Replication 6.0
vSphere Data Protection includes the capability to properly protect mission-critical applications via agents. Backup data can be securely and efficiently replicated to other vSphere Data Protection appliances within the same site and offsite for redundancy and disaster recovery purposes.
vSphere Data Protection can be integrated with EMC Data Domain. Deployment is quick and simple. Administration is easily performed using VMware vSphere Web Client.
Technical Overview - VMware vSphere Data Protection 6.0
The cluster size remains at 32 two-processor 2U hosts; however, the processor, memory, network and storage capabilities are all roughly doubled from those reported in the earlier paper. The performance of native and several VMware vSphere 6 virtualized configurations were compared using the same TeraSort application suite as before.
It was found that the more powerful hosts give a larger advantage to multi-VM per host configurations: virtualized TeraSort is now up to 12% faster than the optimized native configuration. The apples-to-apples case of a single virtual machine per host again shows performance close to that of native Linux.
Wednesday, February 11. 2015
- VMs would be safely restarted on different hosts
- VMs would fail to be restarted on different hosts
- VMs would experience performance degradation after restarted on a different host
With this information, you can better plan the placement and configuration of your infrastructure to reduce downtime of your VMs/Services in case of host failures.
Also take a look at: New fling released: VM Resource and Availability Service
Tuesday, February 10. 2015
This course covers the configuration and use of the vRealize Automation platform, including self-service provisioning and the creation of multivendor cloud services.
This class also helps students understand and achieve the benefits of automation as a component of the software-defined data center.
- Describe the vRealize Automation architecture and use case in today’s multivendor cloud environments
- Install and configure vRealize Automation 6.2
- Deploy Distributed Execution Managers and agents for vRealize Automation connectivity
- Configure endpoints to support compute fabric connectivity
- Manage vRealize Automation 6.2 entities on VMware hardware, third-party hardware, and cloud infrastructures
- Configure vRealize Automation infrastructure services
- Configure and manage tenants and blueprints
- Configure and manage a service catalog
- Configure and manage role-based access control
- Request and manage machines through the user portal
- Analyze and configure vRealize Automation workflows
- Integrate VMware vRealize Orchestrator with vRealize Automation
- Automate application provisioning with VMware vRealize™ Application Services
- Manage and monitor machines and resource reclamation
- Manage cost reporting with VMware vRealize Business
Friday, February 6. 2015
vSphere supports a variety of network interface controllers (NICs). Each NICs primary job is to deliver packets in and out of the host - however, NICs also include technology that vSphere can leverage to perform network transfer faster and more efficiently.
This paper examines scenarios of virtual machines sending and receiving network traffic across different hosts and how vSphere can take advantage of the NIC technology to improve network performance in a vSphere environment
This feature can make it easier to manage your endpoint devices. In addition, you can integrate your Mirage environment with third-party systems, such as scheduling and automation systems, to improve Mirage administrator efficiency and reduce the potential for manual errors.
This document contains some guidelines and best practices for developing applications that use the Mirage API.
Thursday, February 5. 2015
This course covers NSX as a part of the software-defined data center platform, implementation use cases along with features of NSX, and functionality operating at Layer 2 through Layer 7 of the OSI model.
Lecture and hands-on lab activities support the student’s understanding of NSX features, functionality, and on-going management and control.
VMware NSX: Install, Configure, Manage [V6.1] - BETA - Course Datasheet
Wednesday, February 4. 2015
Step-by-step instruction walks you through installation, configuration, operation, security processes, and much more as you conquer the management and automation of your virtual environment.
Written by certified VMware vExperts, this indispensable guide provides hands-on instruction and detailed conceptual explanations, anchored by practical applications and real-world examples.
- Install, configure, and manage the vCenter Server components
- Leverage the Support Tools to provide maintenance and updates
- Create and configure virtual networks, storage devices, and virtual machines
- Implement the latest features to ensure compatibility and flexibility
- Manage resource allocation and utilization to meet application needs
- Monitor infrastructure performance and availability
- Automate and orchestrate routine administrative tasks
Tuesday, February 3. 2015
With it’s two supported architectures hybrid and all-flash, Virtual SAN 6.0 is able to satisfy the demands of all virtualized applications, including business-critical applications.
What’s New: VMware Virtual SAN 6.0
This paper will discuss these improvements that further extend the core capabilities of the vSphere platform.
What’s New in the VMware vSphere 6.0 Platform
I'm a bit curious after reading the VMware Certification Roadmap for 2015 especially the part which is mentioning the online VCP 6 certification. It states: An online Foundation exam that covers the basics of virtualization and combines with elective exam to validate skills in a specific solution track.
Some of you already used the online format to upgrade from 5.0 to 5.5. This delta exam will be available until March 10, but I never expected the regular VCP exam to go online in the future too.
So to become VCP we need the following certification requirements: Qualifying course + Foundation exam + Solution track exam
I don't know if the Solution track exam will be online too. More classes, including advanced courses, will be offered that meet the ‘qualifying course’ required for certification.
Through a mix of lecture and hands-on labs, you will configure and optimize the vSphere features that build a foundation for a truly scalable infrastructure and discuss when and where these features have the greatest effect.
Anyone who is ready to take their understanding of vSphere to a deeper level and learn how to use advanced features and controls will greatly benefit from this course.
VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V6] - BETA
- VCIX certification is comprised of two separate exams – one focused on Administration and one focused on Design
- The VCIX Design exam will be available at more PearsonVue testing locations
- VCIX Design exams have been shortened from 4 to 2 hours. The decreased time does not reflect ease of the exam, but is the result of the exam focusing on new topics only and does not include those covered by prior exams
- Elite status for candidates who complete multiple VCIX certifications
VMware Certification Roadmap for 2015
VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6]
This course will give you a solid understanding of how to administer a vSphere infrastructure for an organization of any size.
VMware vSphere: What's New [V5.5 to V6]
Monday, February 2. 2015
- Reserve bandwidth to guarantee service levels
- Applied at vNIC level
- Enables bandwidth to be guaranteed at the virtual network interface on a virtual machine
- Reservation set on the vNIC in the virtual machine properties
- Applied at a Distributed Port Group
- Enables bandwidth to be guaranteed to a specific VMware Distributed Switch port group
- Reservation set on the VDS port group
- Enables multi-tenancy on one VDS by guaranteeing bandwidth usage from one tenant won’t impact another
VMware vSphere 6 Fault Tolerance can accommodate symmetric multiprocessor (SMP) virtual machines with up to four vCPUs.
Primary VMs and Secondary VMs always maintain independent copies, which can be placed on different datastores to increase redundancy.
Eager-zeroed thick .vmdk disk files are not required because FT supports all disk file types, including thick and thin. Each VM has it's own vmx config file, vmdk files (new) allowed to be on different datastores (new).
- Terminate VM after user-configured timeout only if there is enough capacity; restart on a healthy host
- Reset a VM if APD clears after APD timeout
- Terminate VM immediately; restart on a healthy host
- Detailed reporting of conditions and actions taken
- Impacted VMs, host(s) and datastore(s)
vSphere 6.0 introduces vCenter Server with an external Platform Services Controller and vCenter Server with an embedded Platform Services Controller.
vCenter Server and the Platform Services Controller are deployed on a single virtual machine or physical host. vCenter Server with an embedded Platform Services Controller is suitable for smaller environments with eight or less product instances.
To provide the common services, such as vCenter Single Sign-On, across multiple products, you can connect multiple vCenter Server instances with embedded Platform Services Controllers. You can do this by replicating the vCenter Single Sign-On data from one of the embedded Platform Services Controllers to the other Platform Services Controllers.
This way, infrastructure data for each product is replicated to all of the Platform Services Controllers and each individual Platform Services Controller contains a copy of the data for all of the Platform Services Controllers.
All event registrants will automatically receive access to additional content, engagement, and activities via our online event platform.
Tuesday, January 27. 2015
Now, there's a comprehensive best practice guide reflecting deep understanding of both Oracle and vSphere, and supported by extensive in-the-field experience with the full spectrum of applications and environments.
It focuses on current versions of Oracle and vSphere, while highlighting differences in esx3.5, 4.x and 5.x where relevant. Both a detailed reference and a practical cookbook, it provides reliable answers for:
- Anticipating issues associated with virtualizing Oracle databases on vSphere
- Architecting, deploying, and operating virtualized Oracle databases
- Virtualizing high database workloads
- Achieving planned and unplanned high availability
- Characterizing workloads and sizing systems
- Understanding Oracle VMware licensingManaging, monitoring, and optimizing performance
- Provisioning and automation
- Backup, recovery, and business continuity
- Utilizing official support mechanisms, and more
Monday, January 26. 2015
As pioneers like Google, Amazon, and Netflix have discovered, DevOps can improve efficiency, accelerate delivery, and reduce costs. However, most discussions of DevOps focus on theory rather than implementation, and DevOps raises unique issues in virtualized environments.
- Puppet IT automation software for managing infrastructure across its lifecycle, including provisioning, configuration, orchestration, and reporting
- Chef configuration management tool for writing system configuration "recipes" that streamline server configuration and maintenance and can integrate with cloud-based platforms such as Rackspace and Amazon EC2 to automate provisioning
- Ansible, the flexible open source toolkit for automating configuration management and orchestration in Unix and Unix-style environments
- Windows PowerShell for automating tasks and configuration management in Windows environments
Sunday, January 25. 2015
The course then examines the vCloud Air service offerings and features, security and compliance standards, and networking concepts and services associated with vCloud Air. You will evaluate some use cases to understand how customers can get started with vCloud Air.
Finally, you will identify the various management tools that can be used to manage your vCloud Air environment with your on-premises virtual infrastructure.
- Explain how vCloud Air helps customers employ a hybrid cloud solution.
- Explain vCloud Air networking concepts.
- Explain the use of vCloud Air management tools.
Saturday, January 24. 2015
CoreOS is a new Linux distribution that has been rearchitected to provide features needed to run modern infrastructure stacks.
The strategies and architectures that influence CoreOS allow companies like Google, Facebook and Twitter to run their services at scale with high resilience.
CoreOS is currently in heavy development and actively being tested. These instructions will walk you through running CoreOS on VMware Fusion or ESXi. If you are familiar with another VMware product you can use them as a starting point.
Thursday, January 22. 2015
VMware vRealize Operations Performance and Capacity Management