VMware vCenter Server 6.0 substantially improves performance over previous vCenter Server versions. This paper demonstrates the improved performance in vCenter Server 6.0 compared to vCenter Server 5.5, and shows that vCenter Server with the embedded vPostgres database now performs as well as vCenter Server with an external database, even at vCenter Server’s scale limits.
This paper also discusses factors that affect vCenter Server performance and provides best practices for vCenter Server performance.
vCenter Server 6.0 brings extensive improvements in performance and scalability over vCenter Server 5.5:
- Operational throughput is over 100% higher, and certain operations are over 80% faster.
- VMware vCenter Server™ Appliance™ now has the same scale limits as vCenter Server on Windows with anexternal database: 1,000 ESXi hosts, 10,000 powered-on virtual machines, and 15,000 registered virtual machines.
- VMware vSphere® Web Client performance has improved, with certain pages over 90% faster.
In addition, vCenter Server 6.0 provides new deployment options:
- Both vCenter Server on Windows and VMware vCenter Server Appliance provide an embedded vPostgres database as an alternative to an external database. (vPostgres replaces the SQL Server Express option that was available in previous vCenter versions.)
- The embedded vPostgres database supports vCenter’s full scale limits when used with the vCenter Server Appliance.