This VMware Mirage large-scale reference architecture solves two common challenges faced by IT managers today:
- How to back up a large number of desktops deployed throughout the enterprise while protecting the customization, applications, and data that personalize each system for its end user.
- How to migrate thousands of desktops from Microsoft Windows XP to Windows 7 efficiently, with minimal impact on IT resources and end-user productivity.
- Efficiently backed up desktops located on a local area network (LAN), slashing the amount of data transferred to the data center by up to 32 percent through its deduplication and compression capabilities.
- Increased system performance to match increased network bandwidth, linearly decreasing the amount of time required to back up desktops.
- Migrated up to 800 desktops concurrently from Windows XP to Windows 7 in a short time, requiring minimal IT resources and bandwidth.
- Reduced end-user downtime and resulting productivity loss during the migration to 26 minutes on average.
This reference architecture and the real-world testing behind it are provided to help guide the planning and design of other successful Mirage implementations.