vCenter Operations Manager collects performance data from each object at every level of your virtual environment, from individual virtual machines and disk drives to entire clusters and data centers.
- It stores and analyzes the data, and uses that analysis to provide real-time information about problems, or potential problems, anywhere in your virtual environment. vCenter Operations Manager works with existing VMware products to add the following functions:
- Combines key metrics into single scores for environmental health and efficiency and capacity risk. Calculates the range of normal behavior for every metric and highlights abnormalities. Adjusts the dynamic thresholds as incoming data allows it to better define the normal values for a metric.
- Presents graphical representations of current and historical states of your entire virtual environment or selected parts of it.
- Displays information about changes in the hierarchy of your virtual environment. For example, when a virtual machine is moved to a different ESX host, you can see how these changes affect the performance of the objects involved.
- Allows you to define "group" containers to organize monitored objects in accordance with the structure of your environment.