I’m very busy with preparing my upcoming "Mythbusters Goes Virtual" VMworld session which will go deep into a few specific well known vSphere myths. The myth busting will be done by Mattias Sundling and me. I’ll have the honour to debunk the fact that RDM offers a better performance compared to VMFS. My lab wasn’t equipped with a device that offers RDM storage and VMFS storage but luckily my good friend Duco Jaspars brought my into contact with Iomega’s Benelux country manager Filip Joly.
Filip has offered me a brand new StorCenter px6-300d, this is a high performance business class desktop device, ideal for small-to medium sized businesses and distributed enterprise locations like branch and remote offices, for content sharing and data protection. Powered by EMC storage technology and with up to 18TB of storage capacity, including a diskless option, is easy to setup and manage, and affordable to own. This 2 part video demonstration shows you how to add an iSCSI drive to both the px6 and VMware vSphere.
Adding iSCSI Drives
1. To add an iSCSI drive, click Add an iSCSI drive on the iSCSI page.
2. If your Iomega StorCenter px6-300d has multiple Storage Pools, select the desired Storage Pool from the drop-down menu.
3. Enter a name for the iSCSI drive. How you name your iSCSI drive will depend on your Iomega StorCenter px6-300d meeting one of the following conditions:
• If the iSCSI/Volume Name field displays by itself, enter a name for both. This field displays when your Iomega StorCenter px6-300d is new, has no existing volumes, and supports multiple volumes.
• If the Name field displays by itself, enter a name for the iSCSI drive. This field displays when your Iomega StorCenter px6-300d is new or being upgraded and has only one volume.
• If the Create a volume or Use an existing volume options display, select:
• Create a volume to create a new volume for your iSCSI drive. This option displays when your Iomega StorCenter px6-300d is new, or if you are upgrading your Iomega StorCenter px6-300d and it has available space in its Storage Pools.
• Use an existing volume to use an existing empty or shared volume. This option displays when you are upgrading your Iomega StorCenter px6-300d, have available space in your Storage Pools, and have already created multiple volumes. To use an existing empty volume, select iSCSI/Volume Name and enter a name for the iSCSI drive and volume. To use an existing shared volume, select Shared Volume, select the existing volume, and enter a name for the iSCSI drive.
4. Enter a size for the iSCSI drive.
5. Click Create to create the iSCSI drive.